The construction of The Assembly Rooms began
with the laying of the foundation stone on 14th May 1783.
Just as the New Town itself the design of the new building
was decided by a competition and the winner John Henderson
collected the first prize of 25 guineas.
contruction however, John Henderson died and the responsibility
for completing the work fell to his father David, an accomplished
mason who had previously worked with Robert Adam on the
building Register House.
Door were opened to the public on 11th January 1787 for the
Caledonian Hunt Ball although the work wasn't yet completed.
The Chandeliers, ceiling roses, mirrors, drapes and fluted
Corinthian pilaters were added by John Baxter with
the aid of further subscriptions in 1796.