A designated UNESCO World Heritage Site, Charlotte
Square was completed in 1820, the last part of the initial
phase of the New Town of Edinburgh.
Much of it was designed by the Scottish neo-classical architect
Robert Adam (1728 – 1792).
Located at the west end of George Street, it was intended
to mirror St Andrew’s Square at the east.
For the last three weeks in August each year Charlotte Square
gardens are the site of the Edinburgh
International Book Festival.