At 96 George Street is Freemasons Hall. Built
between 1910 and 1912 to architect A. Hunter Crawford’s
(1865 – 1945) design, the building actually replaced
the original Freemasons Hall on the same site that was built
in 1858 by Edinburgh architect David Bryce (1803 – 1876)
and is the home of the Masonic Grand Lodge of Scotland.
During the Edinburgh Festival, the building is known as the
Universal Arts Theatre.